November 1, 2011 Mirco-Aquarium- Discovering New Things

Today around 12:00 pm I went into the Hesler Building on the imfamous Hill at UT. I then continued to the bottom floor to room 202, were I observed my mirco-aquarium. While I looked through the lens of my mircoscope I seen many organisms doing their daily tasks. There were Gastrotrichas (Smith, D. 2001. figure 6.1), Euchlanis sp.  Rotiferas (Smith, D. 2001. figure 7.2), and several other organisms I seen swimming throughout the aquarium. It was surely a sight to see. One new organism that I didn't see last week was the Vorticella (Patterson, D.J.1998. figures 229 & 230); it almost looked exactly like a flower with rotors in the front. There seem to have been an increase in the number of Euchlanis sp.  Rotiferas (Smith, D. 2001. figure 7.2) from last week; I wonder why. I also recall seeing a Ostracoda (Smith, D. 2001. figure 21.2) carcass being devoured by other organisms; it was really amazing to look at! I'm ready to go back and see what's new for me to see next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment